Here are 12 family traditions I kinda grew up with. As John and I share our first Christmas, its fun to think about what traditions we can start on our own.
- We chop down the Christmas tree out back. This year Charity was the only one home. It was sad that we were not around for the chopping of the tree but it was still special to come home and see the tree fully decorated.
- Both my mom and dad like giving us gifts but struggle to come up with ideas on their own. So the months leading up to Christmas they are always asking for a Christmas list. Yes, we still do Christmas lists.
- Someone decorates the tree and the staircase.
- We get the Christmas card out. It is always a photo we took last year of all off us in something matching. (this is on my side of the family. Next year I get to experience John’s family traditions.
- We bake Christmas cookies
- I always say I am going to save money on gifts and make something for my sisters. I end up making something but always buy more. hahaha.
- There’s always someone who goes out last minute to get someone’s gift.
- Christmas Eve, we spend with Grandma or we go to a Christmas Eve church service. After that, if we haven’t already, we drive around neighborhoods and look at Christmas lights.
- The next morning we open gifts. It gets earlier and earlier every year. My dad is always the first one up.
- Before gifts, my dad reads the Christmas story from the Bible found in the book of Luke.
- Then we open a letter we wrote to Jesus from last year. This is really special because my whole family has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Since it is Him we celebrate during Christmas we write a letter about something we want to give to him in our lives. This past year I said I wanted to give him more time.
- We open gifts one by one.
That’s just twelve Christmas traditions I get to share with John this year. I am excited to start our own traditions. This Christmas is so special! It’s the first one together.
What are some of your family traditions?
Photos by my good friend Kieran <3 taken at Home Slice